Wednesday, January 23, 2008

7 Weird Things About Me

Kelly over at Missing J.T. Snow has tagged me with a me me. I am thinking weird and unique go hand in hand right? Here you go.



#1. I live in Arizona. OK, not so weird for some 6 million of us... but for those of you not 6 million people, Arizona is a pretty unique place to be living. I will explain. Every time I go somewhere in the months of November thru February, sometimes March even, I feel like I am a blessed being. I feel almost how a celebrity must feel as looking upon the "regular folk". I see people shoveling snow. Being stuck in their home for days upon end. I see people's faces freeze in one position. I see how plans are put on hold for a few months. I look at them and say, oh you poor things. That must be so awful. But do I really care? Not really. I know that in a couple days I will be back in 60 degree sunshine. HA!

But with every good thing, you must have a bad and living here happens to be pretty unique come June-September as well. It ain't pretty and living here at that time is almost like a torture plan. Our plans go on hold, like going to the park. Going for a walk. Going to take out the trash.
Being pregnant with a due date of late August was almost like a prisoner who even with a great escape plan you'd have to do it with an added 50 lbs and feet twice the normal size. It isn't pretty.

But we can swim in May (April for non locals), we are only a 5 hour drive from San Diego beaches or Mexico's if you'd rather, and if we do need to see snow, it is a couple hours drive north. We also have 6 professional sports teams. Have I mentioned how beautiful it is?
Maybe I am just weird to have such a love affair with my state. I love Arizona and I would never live anywhere else.



#2. I have a 36" inseam. Tall jeans don't fit. I need extra long. I was beyond ecstatic when I went to The Buckle and the gal helping me said, sorry we only have a 29 XXLong and I said, "You Do?!" I bought them on the spot! So that has to be pretty unique right? A 36" inseam?



#3. I guess being a professional model for 10 years might be a little unique. Not too many people get to do that. Maybe even weirder is that I have a condition where I stand too long I pass out. Isn't it a model's job to stand still? I can't tell you how many times I have passed out while in the middle of shooting.

I once passed out at an opening for a Dana Buchman store, where Dana herself was at. I was standing on a tree stump about 2 feet off the ground and about 12" across, in stilettos. I looked over at the model next to me and I said "I am not feeling well", next thing I know I am on the floor then rushed back into the dressing room and I hear them say, "Dana didn't see anything right?" I was groggy, but thinking, um hello???? I just fell off a tree in stilettos, can I have a coke???

That was just one time, then there were the concrete stairs in NYC, my male counterpart just stood there, didn't even try to catch me.

Oh then on tape somewhere (thank God this was pre youtube) there is me fainting on camera at a Sak's. We were filming for a local show here in AZ and I was in heavy winter wear, I was with several other models, the lights were bright and I got that tunnel vision and ringing in my ears, next thing I knew I took a few steps and face planted on the ground.

These are times I actually fainted, there are countless times I caught myself and had to take a break. A little embarrassing, to say the least.



#4. This is pretty weird. I have had this red thing on the bridge of my nose since I can remember. No Dr. can dx it, no laser can fix it. Actually laser treatments have only pissed it off. A facialist once told me it really hurts my looks. But to me it is just something planted on my face that I am used to and just cover up daily with make up. Although, it really doesn't cover completely, I embrace it.
Here it is in all it's glory (the camera phone is being generous)


#5. I have a daughter that is totally rare and unique. I guess it is pretty different to have a daughter in a wheelchair. Might be even more weird is my best friend's husband has been affected by a brain injury as well. We are quite the pair pushing our loved ones around in wheelchairs. And maybe even topping that off with a brother in a wheelchair. Wheelchairs just follow me around I guess.

#6. I pick my lip. It is a horrible and gross nervous habit. It is beyond a little pick now and then. It is a full fledged problem that needs an intervention.

#7. I can walk with my legs over my shoulders. It is very odd and hard to explain. I used to do it all the time as a kid and recently found out, I can still do it.


And while that was fun I just wanted to add:

Heath Ledger :(

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I've never noticed the red mark before. Birthmark maybe? You have amazing stories! Thanks for playing!

Yes, so sad about Heath.

Anonymous said...

(shhhhhhhhhhhhh...am totally jealous about the living where it's warm thing...I LOVE my new friends here but I also like all 10 of my digits on my hand in functioning order...I'm guessing the working fingers will eventually win out in a relocation)

Unknown said...

Oh wow I have never noticed the spot on your nose. Good pic, btw! LOL. This was fun to read!!

I would love to hear more about your brother sometime and how, if at all, he affected your life with Lily.

Me said...

This has nothing to do with the thing on your nose... LOL... but I read this story this morning and immediately thought of you and Lily.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4173835&page=1


(I thought of Kelly too, but I knew that Jenelle wasn't blind). Amazing story I thought!