Ever since I made clear my likes and dislikes and was judged on them, I have been deep in thought. I don't want to be ignorant. I don't want to not want to read something because the dialect will throw me off. Or the names will confuse me. Or I will plain not understand. So therefore, I am throwing caution to the wind! Culture me!
I started with movies, first I saw The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. It was totally in subtitles. It was actually really good. A little slow and again like Juno seen from the front row, making subtitles even harder to read. But I saw it. I was interested in the remarkable true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, a man with "locked in" syndrome and all he can do is blink. He wrote a book blinking! How fascinating! Thanks Kim for going with me and finding it. I know we were a little shocked by the subtitles and got a little antsy, I am glad we saw it.
Secondly I saw Kite Runner. I loved it! Now I wish I would have read it, but I hate going backwards, watching then reading. I watched Nicolas Sparks Message in a Bottle, which was a dumb movie, then I read the fabulous book and was disappointed because I had to envision Kevin Costner and Robin Wright Penn and that was all wrong. Kevin, maybe ok, but not Robin.
And here I am today on the 4th chapter of The Red Tent and can't put it down. I will be honest the names in the beginning did throw me off a bit. How am I ever going to know all these characters with names I cannot relate to? But I am and I can. I am actually more interested in the bible stories behind this book. After a life time of Sunday School and going to church, it takes a book to interest me. I am super excited to finish this book! Thanks Jenn for gently forcing it down my throat. I needed it forced.
Now I am asking you all to help "cuturize" me. And challenge you to all do the same! What books, movies, etc do you love that aren't typical white all American stories? Give me ideas, suggestions, let me know about places to take my husband in NYC, besides shopping in SoHo. I am excited, I think this will be my New Years Resolution. I never make those by the way, so this is huge! But I need all of you to help.
Oh and I know I will never get more hits and I in no way want to compete with one of my ultimate favorite bloggers "the kept woman" but I was just put up on the front page of TopMomma!!! Please go to this link http://www.topmomma.com/ and click on the picture of Andi sleeping with "my lady", let's keep me up there more than a day! Muchas Gracias!
Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Ok, Kim (Karen here from Aug 02 PG) - I LOVED The Color Purple. Sucked in utterly and completely. The movie is good, but the book is better.
I also read a book that had been translated into English from French called A Very Long Engagement. It takes place shortly after World War 1. Loved this one, too.
Post a Comment