What an interesting weekend to say the least. Wow.
My mother in law came in Wednesday night and I left my house at 4:30am Thursday. Andi was still sick. Lily was finally settled and I felt a little bad.
Went to the airport, got on the plane at 6am and after a layover in Atlanta we were finally in Louisville, KY by 3pm (their time). Long day!
We went for a women's conference for the denomination of church we used to be in. It is a little old fashioned and me and my sister were saying, OMG we are the youngest people here. Me being the youngest at my ripe 29. I certainly did not feel old there!
We were a little nervous about the weekend from the start. I am not going to describe nor try to describe what the opening was. All I will say is my mom thought it was going to be fab and we needed good seats and was disappointed and I cleaned my earrings really good during the performance. What never been that bored to take out your earring and see the gunk so you clean it, smell it and gag, and clean some more? No never that bored? Can I blame it on my ADD?
Anyway, we were giggling like little school girls about the whole thing and thought we were really in for it that weekend.
I will admit it started out slow. I didn't think I would make it thru, but by mid afternoon Friday I was actually listening and not doodling, fidgeting or anything else that would annoy my neighbor whose lap I was practically sitting on.
Of course there were speakers I found more entertaining than others and some I could relate to more, but our trip did take a turn for the better. I knew I would have fun, my circle, aka sister, aunt and mom and I always have a great time no matter where we are, even at a convention in Louisville, KY, but yeah it was good. I will even venture to say enlightening. You didn't even have to be religious to get something out of the seminars. Very powerful women with good stories to tell. And their ain't nothing wrong with being told to put a red ribbon on yourself for your hubby! I text Andrew after one seminar basically saying, give it up to your man and he said I can go anytime I need to if that is what they are preaching!
Sunday the conference was over by 12pm and thanks to my handy sister who is food network obsessed found a cute place to eat at. It was obviously where the "normal" people of Kentucky ate and I was pleasantly surprised by the name brand jeans and purses I saw. We whispered to ourselves where do they go shopping? Because everyone at our stinking hotel had no idea where what and anything was. "Where is a good place to get some local food" we ask, "um, well I don't know" says hotel guy. Nice.....anyway we found the most beautiful man to have ever walked the earth. Really. He was meant for the movies. And the best part, he had a very average wife and three cute kids. Problem was none of us were his wife. We were all in love and had to put our tongues back in our mouth so his wife, who I am sure is used to it, didn't beat us up. The restaurant was super cute, and we finally got to eat some fun food that we weren't used to back at home. Fried green tomatoes, sweet potato fries, derby pie. No offense but you don't want to eat at a TGI Friday's when you are in a different state.
After lunch we thought that a theater .9 miles away was easy enough to walk, not really thinking about the bone chilling 20 degree weather we would hoof the .9 miles in and we did and we about died. Not really, but it was freaking cold. We had no rental car, and we took a life threatening cab ride to the restaurant and didn't want to take one .9 miles away. We made it to the theater and saw 27 dresses, very cute. Katherine Heigel is my new girl crush. I love her.
We took a cab back to the hotel and sat in the bar and I had a much wanted/needed beer and we watched the football playoffs. It was a nice end to our interesting trip.
We were just fascinated by the lack of knowledge the people had in our hotel. No one could tell us anything. And Jelly bean told me to get a mint julep there and when my mom ordered one our waitress had no clue what it was. We said isn't that something KY is known for and she said she had never had anyone ever order it before.
Anyway, after another VERY long day we got home last night at 9 pm our time and I was over the moon to see my husband and my kids. I really missed them. I even talked my mother in law into staying a few extra days since she is supposed to leave tomorrow and I haven't had any time to spend with her. Plus she is a great help to us with the girls and around the house. Plus I think she likes it here with us.
So I am back. I am enlightened and I will never step foot in Louisville, KY again.
How was your weekend?
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Glad your trip went well. I must admit, the only time I make it to a TGIF is when I'm in another state (or airport - isn't there a good one in Phoenix? LOL)
Kim... you are so funny! I love reading your posts! You always make me laugh. See you Sat!
I just wandered here from another blog. Your concierge must have been an IDIOT! (Where were you staying???) There are literally hundreds of great restaurants in Louisville, and several halfway decent places to shop. Sorry you didn't have a great time, but you really should give it another chance.
Post a Comment