Monday, April 02, 2007

Now I remember

Ok I knew there was a reason that my inability to be pleased was even brought up. It came back to me when I started yet another Jodi Piccoult novel on my Ipod Shuffle.
Let me take you back to when my addiction began. My sister downloaded "Rise and Shine" by Anna Quindlen onto my Shuffle and I began to listen. At first I didn't start listening because I thought how do I have time to have a blank head. Then I had some time during one of Lily's therapies and tried it out. Then it was Elmo in the car for the girls and Ipod for mommy. It was my friend at the grocery store, coffee shop and every Dr./therapy appointment we had. The first book was narriated by a woman and I didn't like her voice. The book was in first person, so the narriator got named Beverly, naturally. The book only took me a few days, it was on the short side and like an addict I was feaning for more. I got super lucky and downloaded 19 Minutes, Jodi Piccoult for only $9.99 because it was brand new, I guess. Most books are over $20 to download.
So I start 19 minutes and freaking Beverly is narriating again. I just got over her, I hear her as Beverly and again, I don't really like her voice. It's raspy and New York(y). It fit Beverly well, but I don't know... so I listen every day for 13 days and get thru 21 hours of a wonderful novel that had my totally on the edge, the entire time. Still called the narriator Beverly. And still not loving her.
So like an addict I need more. Well I needed a break first, then I needed more. After a long weekend break I then/now got "Vanishing Act" Jodi Picoult. We have our busy three therapy Monday so I put my comfy ear phones in that seem to be a part of me now and wait... where is Beverly? This sugar sweet talking, Rene Zellweger sounding lady was not Beverly. How can I listen without Beverly? I miss Beverly.
So I go to my sister who has heard every book before me and I just said, "I miss Beverly" and she said "but you don't like Beverly". And then I realized THAT was what I was going with in my blog.

1 comment:

Me said...

I think I'm still stuck on the "TWENTY DOLLARS TO DOWNLOAD?" part. Yes... I know I am. Because I've said that to myself about 4 times now.

Twenty dollars to download!?

Five. That's five times!