Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Are you pregnant?"

So I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 12. My Dr. was skeptical, but my mom knew I had a goiter and I was much more tired than most kids. And wouldn't you know to the Dr.'s surprise I had hypothyroidism at the age of 12. Since that day I have seen this Dr. every three - six months of my life.
He is small, Indian (fore head not feather) and funny. Not as much ha ha as weird.
I like him though. He is like extended family. We don't all love, love our family, but they are family.
It seems though every time I come in with a complaint other than a hypothyroid complaint the answer is pregnancy. And let me tell you, he has never been correct. He embarrassed me when he asked me at 16 if I were pregnant after a complaint of passing out several times. The answer came back up in my early 20's when I brought the same complaint back up.
Well lo and behold guess what he asked me yesterday? "Are you pregnant?" he asks. "Why?" I answer. "Well you gained 5 lbs since I saw you last and pregnancy is a reason for fast weight gain" he says. "Well I spent most of 2006 with a locked jaw due to TMJ, so when I could finally eat, I eat." I answer back self assuredly.
"Well maybe you should get TMJ again" was his reply.
Ok I know some of you are going to get upset and tell me to leave his practice. But again, he is like family. He is used to seeing me skinny. He used to beg me to put on a few and I would refuse. I know I still look good. I also know I look my best minus 10 lbs, but since I don't hear Vogue banging down my door, I am not gonna worry about it. I do not need my feathers fluffed. I have a mirror. I don't mind extra curves. I don't mind being a (gasp) size 8 on a 5'11.5" frame.
I am glad that I can find the humor in this. I know it is poor bedside manor, but he has taken good care of me for 16 years now. I think I will just let it slide.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.. Oh my gosh...I can totally picture this scene. I've seen/heard many an attending doctor say stupid stuff like that. Geez.

And we say "dot not feather" ;)

Melany aka Supermom said...

lol that is so funny!!! hehheh When I started getting epilepsy my doctor was also convinced that I was pregnant :)

brandii said...

I'm glad you're cool w/ it...at almost 6 ft tall a size 8 is actually probebly UNDERWEIGHT.

Kelly said...

OMG, you know where I'm going with this. I was hyperthyroid during my pregnancy with Jenelle. I have always wondered if that caused her problems. I'm sure you wonder the same as well for Lily!

Not sure how I'd take it, but definitely a dry sense of humor, eh?