Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Kindergarten.......

I just C&P this from Lily's site. It is important.

So I went to visit the school Lily will attend for next year today. I have been anticipating this, sweating over this and last night, loosing sleep over this, and well I am happy to say all for nothing. I mean, transitioning will break my heart. It will cut me to the core and that last day of school, God help me is a Wednesday, payroll day, I don't know how I will walk out of that place let alone go back to work and pay 300 people. Correctly, I should add. But the new place isn't near as bad as I anticipated and it was almost actually ideal. Ideal would be staying at FBC with Mrs. Jean for another 18 years, so this is the second best. I really liked the teacher, who we happened to fly together and talk a couple years back. Small world, I know! She has a good philosophy and seems to really love the kids. They divide the kids not by age but by skill which to me makes me more comfortable. Lily will be in a class with kids similar to her skill wise. Almost all kids in her class are non verbal, that doesn't mean quiet, just non word speaking. They use communication adapted equipment and they go thru the same motions other classes go thru. She will go on field trips once a month! Eat out in the community. She will have a "buddy", someone her age to go to other classes with, when we are ready to integrate her more.
I really feel I can take a big sigh of relief. I had a good team of support this morning, Andrew, Mrs. Jean, the school psychologist and the district vision specialist. And now we have a good idea of exactly what needs to be in the IEP we are filling out soon. Of course Mrs. Jean will be there when we fill it out so we’ll be sure that the classroom is perfectly adapted for my Lily girl and make the appropriate goals she needs to push her, but not too hard. I am such a softie. I thought all the kids were just adorable! All of them doing what they can, it is funny, when Lily was a baby and we attended Infant Program at the FBC I was scared to look at the Preschool. I was scared to look into our future. Having a baby you don't know what way she will grow, but knowing in your heart it won't be "normal", seeing your future is frightful. But today, it wasn't. I thought the kids were all so cute. Even the little trouble maker that I think comes with his name. The two beautiful girls, one with a long pony tail and huge smile who walks and speaks a little and the other who spins everywhere and likes to touch people. The little guy taking assisted steps with his AFO's and the big guy in his chair elevated back taking it all in. There were 9 all together, one teacher and three aides. Not a bad student to teacher ratio, I don't think.
I think this is a good thing. If we HAVE to move on, then this is the right move. I pray it is.
Tomorrow is Farm Day. Farm Day is the best! I know both girls will have a blast, as long as we remember the sun screen! It will be a scorcher! It is summertime here in AZ!

2 comments:

Melany aka Supermom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melany aka Supermom said...

That is great news Kim. I'm glad to hear you are feeling comfortable with this. I can only imagine how stressful the move will be for you but I am pretty sure that you will cope just fine. Gosh you cope with things so well...you could win the Mom-of-the-year every year