Friday, April 06, 2007

Do I dare try to talk....

I am with a sad, heavy heart right now. My dear friend gave birth and lost her son that same day. He died during delivery. He was apparently beautiful. The nurse said most "Potter's" babies don't look like he did. He was 2lb 10oz and looked like his late Grandmother.
I am not sure what my next course of action is to be. Send a card, flowers. How do I mend her heart?
This is the same woman who was once a little girl, a very accident prone little girl. She happened to trip over my diving board and had to be taken for stitches in her eye brow, back when we were kids. My mom said she could hear her screaming from the waiting room.
She is the same girl who I was excited to see every Sunday. We couldn't wait for church to be over and run to the back of the building where there was green overgrowth everywhere. And there we would find our very own Pete's Dragon. We would talk and play with him as if he was really there physically, not just in spirit.
The same girl that would come over and we would make movies, real movies with scripts and all. TV commercials where she sat in a chair with a neck brace we found in my costume closet and said "the driver hit me so hard, I couldn't move my neck" then she proceeded to talk about some law office we found in the yellow pages.
The same girl who was my bride’s maid in my first wedding, and the same girl I was in hers.
The same girl I prayed for during her miscarriage and was over the moon when I found out she was pregnant again and it was going great.
I just can't imagine going in for that exciting 20 week ultrasound, wanting to know what the sex will be and then hearing, something is wrong and then that is it. Nothing but pain and sorrow.
Just three weeks ago I saw her in a wedding, dancing. Laughing, even though she knew what was ahead of her. That is the way this woman is. Full of life! Such an amazing person who lit up her world. I can only imagine now her light will be dimmer. And who can blame her.
Please keep her in your thought and prayers. Now every year Easter will take a whole new meaning. I just pray her faith can take her thru this. She is far stronger than I have ever been and will ever be.
Peace be with you little sweet baby boy.

3 comments:

Me said...

I'm sorry... it's so hard to know what to say or do during a time like this.

Is this something that is genetic that will happen with every pregnancy, or is it just a fluke?

I'm hoping and wishing she will heal and go on to have the beautiful baby she is dreaming of.

Melany aka Supermom said...

Kim my heart breaks for her. It's just SO sad. I cannot even try to imagine what she must be going through. Life is just so unfair some times

Kelly said...

I am so sorry Kim! While I cannot fathom the loss of a child, I think losing a child in this way (during pregnancy or via still born) is the worst case scenario, because they never really had a life to look back on.

However, you and I both know that a loss now may have saved your friend from a life like ours. That the child may have had serious complications, and if he had survived, he would have endured a life of pain and suffering. That is how I sometimes look at these things; as a horrible blessing.

Hugs - I'm so sorry! I'll keep your friend in my prayers, that she can heal through this loss.