Wednesday night I had dinner with my Aunt, sister, Mom and niece. After dinner we saw Sweeny Todd at Gammage. Not the movie, the play. I will say it certainly was NOT Mama Mia, nor was it Color Purple, but I can appreciate the talents that went to put on that show, but I don't want to appreciate again, at least anytime soon.
During dinner we were laughing and enjoying dinner and wine, well except for sister and niece. I ask my niece how her college search is going, does she have anything planned yet and she says she has two picked out, but has to retest SATS. Why I ask and she says she got the most average score possible and continues to say "I have average white person syndrome" I laughed and said "What there are no scholarships for average white people?" and she says "No."
I thought about that expression later and thought, man how many of us have that syndrome?
I never, nor have ever, win anything for being exceptional. I played viola for 5 years yet never moved up beyond 4th chair, out of 5 (!) in all those 5 years. I played basketball and although I excelled in Junior Varsity, I never even played on the varsity team. I quit Senior year, but if I was that good, I would have played Varsity Sophomore year, if not that than definitely my Junior year.
Academics, not even close. I did beat out my classmates in the 4th and 5th grade and got to be in the spelling bee, but I cracked on the first word in both bees.
I think that is why when I was getting good jobs modeling I was always shocked. I never, ever, was chosen above others for anything, so then when I was chosen out of 100's for jobs I could never wrap my head around it. I always thought I got lucky.
Watching American Idol Tuesday night I was taken back to a casting I had in NYC that I had totally forgotten about until I heard David Cook sing "Always be my Baby".
In New York it is totally common to walk into a room with hundreds of other models (cattle calls). Castings like Nike, Clinique, Bongo, this was the 90's, were packed with tall, skinny girls holding their book under their arms. So I was not surprised to walk into a casting, that all I knew about it was it was a music video, packed full. What I was not expecting was all the people in leotards, stretching out. I broke out in a sweat. Holy sh!t! This is a dance audition? I started looking for the door when I saw a few other tall skinnys standing in the corner. I walk to them, is this a model casting? They say, "I think so" as we all look nervous. Because as we all know tall skinnys aren't the most coordinated folks around. So I get called back, they look at my book. Have me stand and pretend I am in a field in the sun and looking happy. It was odd. They told me they thought I was perfect, but never heard back from them.
I never thought of that casting again until a few months later I see a Mariah Carey video to the song "Always be my baby" and I see models hanging out with Mariah in a field in the sun, happy and smiling. I said, "dammit!" Thinking that would have been a kick ass job. But seriously I hadn't thought about any of that until Tuesday night.
I had no idea where I was going with this blog and not sure where it went. Sorry. I really should plan things out a little bit more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Average White Person Syndrome...a/k/a Middle Class Screw.
When I was going to college my parents had saved for me but who couldn't use an extra hand? We tried for student loans but guess what? Since my parents made "too much money" they wouldn't even LOAN (as in 'to be paid back'...not as in 'a hand out') me college money. Don't even get me started.
Best to your neice as she heads toward college!!!
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment