Thursday, March 06, 2008

Book Worm

I love to read. I have said that a many of times.
I love to read A. because well I like reading and B. I want to write. Well. Reading is a way to learn from other authors.
It is not uncommon for me to have a book on my Itouch that I listen to in the car, out on walks, vacuuming, whatever. And also reading an actual book that I take with me to appointments and to Lily's therapies.
I am currently listening to Beautiful Boy. Starbucks totally hit the nail on the head this time. This one is hard to put down. Heart wrenching. All parents need to read this. Or in my case have it read to them.
I am also physically reading, Eclipse. The third installment of a sci-fi teenage vampire novel. It is totally out of my range, but I read the first two and will finish the third. Eventually.
But reading teaches me so much.
It also makes me think I will never get a book written.
For instance in Beautiful Boy he uses the comparison of the fog folding in like pancake batter. I had to push pause and rewind and listen again. What a way to describe fog. Now as a native Arizonian I see fog twice a year. It never rolls, it just sits there, looks like smog, but less dirty looking. But I was seeing the ocean in Northern California (where I have yet to have been) and I could clearly see fog pouring in like pancake batter. I would never think to describe fog like pancake batter. That worries me. I don't think, nor do I think I have a right side of my brain which makes comparisons hard for me. At least for me to make them up. I get them when I hear them.
Anyway, I will continue to read and to listen and to learn.
One day I will be able to sit down and instead of saying my coffee tastes stale, I will say, my coffee tastes like day old sh!t.
I'm trying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I love to read your blog but I have never commented before. But I read several "mommy blogs" and yours is my favorite. You are funny and real, and maybe your writing isn't as perfect as some others, but hey, that's what an editor is for.

You have a great wit, though, and I love your writing. In the post up above where you said "Unless you came from my womb, or put children in my womb to start with, I don’t really care for you eating my food." I laughed out loud. That is good writing, and you are a great writer. I really think you should put together a collection of some of your best blog entries and shop them around to publishers. I used to be an editor, so LMK if I can answer any questions about the process. But I really do think you have a unique experience and a great way of writing about it, and the world should get a chance to read your stuff.

Becca