Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Am I supposed to say .....

Am I supposed to say something profound today? I am not going to post something silly of course, but it is so hard to know what type of actions are expected on a day like today.
It isn't like Dec. 7th, I wasn't alive when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Sad yes, but personally affecting, not so much.
As for Sept. 11th 2001, I can clearly remember that morning. But I was safe in my bed watching the news. I was a newlywed with no children. Life was as easy as it comes. New York was and will always have a special place in my heart. I spent two summers there learning more about myself at the young age of 14 and 15 then I will probably ever be able to again. But I wasn't there that day. I didn't loose anyone I loved. We all lost our ability to feel safe, yes. We lost our ability to see our friends get on an airplane. We lost our ability to look at traveling as a fun experience.
Last year I got to go down to ground zero and it takes your breath away. I am glad I was able to go there and see the new buildings and the art work and the letters children wrote, it was hard to see, but it made it more real. More personal.
Being safe in your bed while others are living a real life hell seems so wrong and unfair.
And leaves me not knowing what to say on a day like today.

No comments: