Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Kim's Feeling Randy!!

So after a fun filled Saturday, we went to Salt Lake City Sunday afternoon.
Our flight was on time. Lily was happy. Things were great. Our Phx airport looked like Vegas or LA. So many pretty people, I felt like a sloth. I guess it was the pretty people who were invited to the events, but didn't get THE ticket so they went home on Sunday.
I still swear I saw Joel Madden, but Andrew says I did not.
We show up in SLC to a winter wonderland. The snow was falling, yet it wasn't as cold as Kentucky. It was nice actually. The mountains were gorgeous and Andrew wished we had stayed an extra day to get some snowboarding in.... then we got to learn the politics of Utah and wanted to go right back home.
We rolled up into our hotel at half time. I am not a huge football fan. I like football, but I hate watching it on tv. There are too many commercial breaks. But Super Bowl I like. I like the game and the commercials. I especially like the last quarter of the game. So it is half time, of Super Bowl playing in MY home state. I want to watch the game; Andrew wants to watch the game. We want to see the game. We'd like a beer as well as we watch the game. Is that so wrong? Isn't every other person in the United States of America doing just that? Beer and the game? Well apparently NOT in Utah. Our hotel was empty. Totally deserted! We are starving, we had peanuts in our belly. We go to the restaurant and ask if they have a TV. Nope. Ok let's go to the lounge. Sorry you can't come in here with your daughter? We can't sit at a table, order food and watch the game on your TV? Nope we couldn't. Feeling bad for the laws of their state, Utah ain't messing around with the whole "it takes a village" thing; they offer us the key to the top floors concierge suite were they had a couple crackers, some cheese that had been out since the game started and some Pepsi products.
Ok back to our room. Order room service pay $75 (!) for a grilled cheese, mac and cheese and fettuccini and 4 beers. Finally watched the 4th qtr in our room, and what a 4th qtr that was! It was awesome! Go Giants! I had tears in my eyes watching Peyton clapping for his brother. That was just so sweet! I know I am so full of estrogen.
So finally off to bed after House. Lily was on the pull out sofa and we were in the king bed. Lily was having one of those nights where she'd fall asleep and then wake up screaming. It happened three times so after the third screaming fit, I debated over it and gave it half a klonopin. Bad idea!
Come morning I fed her and bathed her half asleep. We got to the hospital and she was still asleep. We'd wake her and she'd be pissed. She didn't do much for the Dr. but it was a good apt. anyway. We just needed to get "in" with Shriner's and now we are. The Dr. was awesome and the whole place was very nice. She got some x-rays and they showed some curvature on her spine, but she thinks it will improve in therapy and no need for a brace yet. Her hips look great. We got hooked up with a place here to get her new AFO's and SMO's which is totally exciting, knowing here in AZ they'd rather eat off their own arms then give us some new anything. Then they also decided that they would get her a new chair, but that will have to be a one week process and we have to do it once again in SLC. The land of the beautiful, but ultra conservative (is anyone else running in these elections besides Mitt Romney? You'd never know if all you watched was local Utah news) (sorry not judging).
But getting a chair that we actually need, instead of what our state will allow here is worth it.
Getting back the airport was super fun! Listening to Andrew scream at the poor GPS girl is always a hoot. And it was super fun when we got an earlier flight, pre boarded for it and they put Lily's wheelchair in under the plane. We sat down and then the captain came on to tell us and the handful of others who came in from Denver that we had to sit there for 2 hours, b/c AZ was raining and full of "rich people with private jets that took priority", words of the Southwest Pilot, not mine. I didn't see him, but I can pretty much guarantee there was a birdie flashed or at least an eye roll with that statement. We were stuck on a plane that was not moving for 2 hours. Did I mention how crabby Lily was from the previous night’s klonopin dose? I ran off the plane at that news and left Andrew with Lily and snuck on a flight to LA and that is where I am writing from today. Well I did get me a Starbucks. Did I mention my inability to find one in that morning? Then I sat and held my crabby, then sleepy 46 lb daughter for the next 3 hours. What fun. Oh I did get to help the captain with an answer on his crossword puzzle. Super duper! At least I downloaded all the Samantha Who episodes on my Itouch and watched almost all of them. What a great show! I can't wait to see it when it starts back up. When these writers get off their asses and stop complaining. Do they think they are that important to leave so many other people jobless? I bet you I could find 100 new writers who would kill for an opportunity to write for a TV show and they would be just as good and promise not to go all union on us.
OOOHHHHH Kim is in for it today aren't I? First Utah, then Mitt and now Union.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots here, I loved the 4th quarter too, more importantly, it is impossible to use sloth and you in the same sentence, I believe.

The first time I watched Samantha Who I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as in the real world, I was in an accident, and woke up to a whole new world. I now laugh.

Kate
(who is so enjoying your memories!)