Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Where do I begin?

May I start with a loud, large sigh? SIIIIGGGGHHHHHHH........ I am tired. I am butt ass tired. Is that an expression? I am tired physically, emotionally and what other way can you be tired? Spiritually? Ok, add that too.

I really don't know what is wrong with me, I am so down. I swear I am manic. Just Sunday I was jumping up and down singing with the Grammy's and yesterday I was in the bathroom at the hospital choking back tears. Just take off my panties and call me Brittany.

Maybe I am tired because getting up with the puppy nightly is weighing in on me. Maybe it is because Andi didn't nap and she slept from 5:45pm to 4:45am and I was up with her. Maybe it is because I gave up Coke for lent, no not that coke.... the kind you snort. Maybe it is because this damn IUD is making me hemorrhage monthly and I am anemic. Maybe it is because I am having a pity party for myself.

Maybe, Maybe, Maybe.

I needed a urine sample for Lily yesterday before we went to our appointment at the hospital to start this study; finally, I mean really start it with the meds.

You get a urine sample from a 5 year old, 47 lb kid who wears diapers. I couldn't get one at home. She peed all over and around the bag they gave me. I sat her on the little potty an hour the night before and an hour the morning of our appointment. She would not go on it. I got up to grab something and she had a drop seizure and fell off the toilet, she was so sad. I was sad. I put her back on the potty and prayed, "God please, just please let her pee, just a little, please” but no pee. We were running late, so I figured just go and hope they can get it. They wouldn't. I had to. She had to have her blood drawn, an ECG and they told me to sit with her on the potty for 20 minutes and we did. I ran the water; I stroked her hair trying to relax her. I told her repeatedly to go potty. She had no idea what I was saying. I was once again praying, "Please God, just a little pee, PLEASE!" Never any pee. She pees the minute I put her diaper on and I start to cry. I wipe my eyes come out and shake my head. Nope. No pee. Another ECG and they give us 2 hours to get lunch and get pee and take it to the lab. I get another bag and try to put it on right. Putting my 47 lb, 47" daughter on a diaper changer for infants. Then we go sit in the cafeteria. I try to get a tray of food and push her in a busy cafeteria. Not easy. We sit down. I feed her.
I watch an older woman walking with a cane while trying to push her adult mentally and physically challenged son in his wheelchair and I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. Am I looking at my future? Next I look over at a couple of women huddled together crying, and I quickly look away as I think, I know what they are feeling. I was overwhelmed with sadness. I started having flashbacks of sitting in that cafeteria 3 years ago. I was pregnant and just handed my 2 year old over to let them cut her brain in half. I sat there toying with my food, staring at my food, swallowing the lump in my throat, because I don't cry in public. That date comes and goes and I ignore it. It was one of those days in your life that if you try hard enough you can almost wish it away. Almost. But yesterday sitting there spoon feeding Lily in that very cafeteria in the hospital I handed her over not knowing if I would ever see her alive again, it came back. I washed my thoughts away, fed her quickly and we went outside. We went outside and I pretended the people in scrubs sitting outside eating were Meredith, Izzy and George. I pretended what their conversations were because if I listened to my thoughts I would have broken down. We go to the bathroom and guess who peed, not in the bag? Lily. I know it isn't her fault, but c'mon, seriously? Still no pee sample. So I gave up. I told the lady that I will just bring it in on Thursday. I don't know how I will get it, but I will figure it out. It isn't a skip away either, so this was overly frustrating. I think I just have too much on my plate and it overwhelms me at times. I usually skate though our busy days, but yesterday I was overwhelmed. Probably because I was tired, probably because I was feeling sorry for myself, probably because sometimes life sucks. Most moms of 5 year olds can get a urine sample. Most parents of 5 year olds don't have kids in diapers. I know some do. I know I am not the only person dealing with these struggles, but sometimes I can't be tough. Some days I want to scream. Some days I just want to lock the door and cry in the bathroom at a hospital.
But today is a new day.
Unfortunately I am still crabby. Just ask Andrew who called and asked what I wanted for Valentines Day. I ripped him a new one because I already told him not to waste money, we don't have it right now to waste on chocolate and flowers. I said I told you I want to get some lunch and a card! Oops, I know he meant well, but don't ask me what I want for Valentines Day, if you want to get me something just do it, it isn't my damn birthday, I don't have a valentines day wish list.... please.
Oops. Well tomorrow is a new day.


*Side note*

I have been bugging my bff (snicker) "Kibberts" to make her own blog. She is an English teacher, she is an amazing writer, with an even more amazing story to tell and she finally picked her lazy ass up and did it. You have to check it out, she is fabulous!! I am so excited to share her with you all, but you can't have her. She is my bff.

6 comments:

Charlene said...

Kim, I'm sorry you are having one of those days. I don't have a clue what you are going through with the ups and downs with Lily, but I do know how it feels to have a day where everything comes to a boiling point...a good cry always helps me. Sometimes I need to have a pitty party for myself, too, and then I feel better. Sometimes life does seem so unfair. Just know that I admire you more than you know. And I know I'm not the only one.

We all have our challenges (in one way or another) and I am always amazed and uplifted by you and how you have been able to cope with yours.

We all love you and your family and hope you are successful this week with the pee!

:) Char

Kelly said...

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE getting a urnie sample from Jenelle! I've been to the points of prayers and tears as well! Hugs! I have found that if I bag her, cut a hole in her diaper, pull the bag through and "watch and wait" I usually am successful!

HUGS, I also know the feeling of hospital flashbacks! Ugh!

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked your blog in a while. I am sorry you are having such a rough time. One of my first teaching jobs was as first a sub and then a summer teacher for the preK OH class at a public school in California. I loved my time with those kids - but I remember too how exhausting and frustrating it could be at times. I had the greatest admiration for their parents (one set of which were adoptive parents) and how much strength they had, and I can tell that despite your current state of mind, you have that same strength. Hang in there.

Brooke (CrazyRN) said...

I know you don't "know" me, but I've been reading about your journey for awhile now. I remember when Kelly asked our Mommy group to pray for Lily when she had her surgery.

I can't imagine how difficult it was trying to get a urine sample from Lily. Is there a reason why they couldn't do a simple cath UA on her? I know it's more invasive for Lily, but it would be the least time consuming and way less stressful for you! And plus, then you at least know it's a "clean" catch! It's so hard to get clean ones on kids!

I hope you get some much needed rest and you're feeling better soon!

Tiffany said...

Kim,
I am so sorry that you were having a bad day. I really hate days that you want to lock yourself up and scream! What a bummer that you were unable to get a sample. So frustrating! I can relate to you when you talk about having those thoughts of old memories at hospitals. It is so difficult. I hope you have a better day and a great Valentines! You deserve it!

Cathy said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now and although I don't "know" you except through what I have read, I have to say that you are probably one of the strongest people I have ever encountered. The way you handle life's twists and turns is amazing. Don't feel bad about crying. You deserve it and it will make you feel better. Stay strong and know that on the bad days, there are people out here rooting for you.