Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Should I admit this?

Considering the fact that I got sent to al anon meetings in the third grade because of this picture:



I am cautious at explaining a story about Andi. I blogged about this years ago at the other place, but when I was in the 3rd grade I was told to draw a family portrait. Well I did. It is hard to see in the picture on the computer, but in my dads hand is a beer. When the teacher asked me in front of the entire class while I stood proudly explaining my family, "why does your dad have a beer in his hand?" My answer that followed paved my way to al anon meetings.... "Because he always has a beer in his hand." The class laughed and the next thing I knew I was in a meeting with the class rejects talking about our parents. It pretty much sucked. My dad drank, but he was funny. It wasn't like he was angry, or hit us. He told jokes. It wasn't this detrimental situation like my teacher thought.

Anyway, old news, but you can see my reasoning for the consideration of sharing what Andi was drawing yesterday. I had to take her to work with me for about 30 min while Lily was in her therapies. I gave her some paper and pens and she started coloring. She starts talking about her picture so I turn and look and she says "this is mom fighting with daddy" and she has to circles for faces and a big line went from my circle to his circle. I said "what?!" and she explained it all over again. I was laughing, but embarrassed. We argue a lot, but we don't get in drag downs. Neither of us have ever, EVER laid a hand on each other, but we do disagree pretty much on everything so we do argue often. I'm figuring I better lay low for awhile and agree to disagree before CPS comes to our door and takes ME, obviously the aggressor, away.

Sigh.....

3 comments:

Melany aka Supermom said...

It is very interesting how children see us and our relationships. Maybe this is a sign that you fight too often. That she is now bigger and picks up on it

Me said...

I'm surprised they were all over that picture that many years ago! I thought it was just in the last 10 years that they started to go overboard. (Rolling my eyes).

My only 'drawing' fears are that I have a son who loved to draw Army guys, knives and guns. Hello? He's a boy! Boys really don't enjoy drawing flowers and bunny rabbits when they are nine. LOL.

He is 15 now and still loves to draw Army guys, war and such as well as vampires, ghouls, etc. I always had to 'remind' him not to draw these during 'open drawing' time at school or art class because schools are idiots and he could get kicked out just for drawing an Army soldier with a gun... even though he IDOLIZES his Uncle (the one that just got back from Iraq).

Whatever. LOL.

But maybe you should remind Andi to draw hearts and flowers whenever she is out of your home. Stupid, I know... the things we have to do to be politically correct. (rolling my eyes).

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how kids perceive things isn't it?

I'm sure my kids will draw a similar family portrait one day. SD comes home and has a beer with dinner every night. It's just a fact. It's not dirty, shameful or abused. It is what it is, an adult beverage consumed in moderation by someone who is of age. My kids will be playing in their kitchen and I'll overhear one of them ask th other one, "Do you want a beeeah?" (that last word is beer) They don't know it's naughty to say that and so far I haven't curbed it.