Friday, December 28, 2007

Brownies... with Spinach?

Popeye would like em!
In part of my sisters "Operation: Domesticate Kim" one of her cookbooks she gifted was the Jessica Seinfeld sneaking in the veggies cookbook. Now I was skeptical, but willing.
I thought I would start off easy. Start with brownies. It said to add 1/2 c of spinach puree and 1/2 c of carrot puree to all the chocolate and sugar. I went out and got my supplies.
I get home and start cooking. Andrew walks in just as I am pouring in the spinach puree and all he sees in green stuff going into his brownies. His eyes light up and he says "Sweet Kim, I didn't think you were into that anymore." "I'm not and it is spinach" I say and he says "Well that is disgusting."
Much to my dismay they were actually really good. A bit dense, but Andi liked them and I told the nurse to give one to Lily with lunch. It is packed with fiber and antioxidants! I am excited and am now going to sit down and make a list of what else to make and go shopping for what I need. I just can't tell Andrew when I am doing it, because he is refusing the brownies. Strange though, I know he would have eaten them had it been some other type of green I chose to bake in them.
Reminds me of the time I made a meatloaf with ground turkey one night without notifying Mr. South Dakota meat and potato's and he took one bite and said "What the hell is that?" He sounded like a big bully hillbilly. We looked like Bud & Sissy. Anyway he refused to eat it and I never again made ground turkey. We will see what I can get away with. I know the kids will be easier than he is.
So tonight we have a little shindig to go to. Saturday will be filled with piles and piles of laundry and maybe if I am lucky, a drink or 5 with my friends.
I will try to get on again before we say goodbye to 2007 and hello to 2008. I have to say 2007 was a very good year for us, health wise and I pray 2008 will be the same or even better!
Oh by the way Andrew has a 2nd degree separation and fractured collar bone. He goes in next week for an MRI to see if there is damage to his rotater cuff (????). Let's hope for the worse, so he doesn't go snowboarding anymore this season.
What? Is that wrong?

4 comments:

Timestep said...

My Mr. South Dakota does OK with my meatloaf -

2 part ground beef
1 part ground pork
1 part ground turkey

Or some other mix. As long as there is some lean beef (I used the 90/10 mix)

Try it sometime! Lower the fat, but not the flavor!

Me said...

My friend "M" loves that cookbook.

Kelly said...

And here I thought "Spinach" was code for "pot" LMAO!

Good health and no seizures to you in 2008!

Anonymous said...

I saw the Oprah where O was promotoing Decept. Del. and got so inspired that night that I used my blender to puree cauliflower and stuck it in spaghetti sauce. It worked nicely but I think like she mentioned on the show you just have to do a shitload of it and keep it in the freezer to make it useful and consistent.

That was like two months ago and I have yet to remember to do it again.

Sounds like your family's XMas was a great one!!!