So I am quickly approaching my 29th Birthday and I am really thinking, Holy Sh!t, I am going to be 29 years old. 29. 29! 29!
29?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I have always been the youngest. I was the youngest in my family. One of the youngest grandkids. I was always the youngest model, when I was such a thing. I never had a wrinkle. I never imagined being in my 30's. It is ok, I always figured it would happen one day. But already? Already I have lived almost 29 years?
I was so used to being checked out by guys, being an object of affection, but now I am feeling like I am looking more... well... like the mother of the males attraction. Guys are looking at the early twenty thing next to me in line at Starbucks. Not the wedding ring wearing, stretched marked tummy, wide hipped lady that pulled up in a mini van that USED to totally rock. I never liked the extra attention, but I am just as much not liking the less attention. I am sure I am coming off as prideful, but I can honestly say I am only being honest. I can totally see why the beautiful women of the 80's are looking more and more nipped and tucked. Now while I am fully ready to age gracefully and want to do everything so I can do that naturally. I can see wanting to hit the pause button about 5 years ago. See what the fashion industry does to us washed up ones? It is a nasty world! One minute you are on top of the world, then you are an old maid. Thank God for my husband and kids. Otherwise I'd already by hitting the Botox hanging out at clubs prowling around like a cougar... GRRRRRooooWWWWlllllllll.............. loooking like those ladies on Real Housewives of Orange County... oh gag me!
I can't help but think, when I thought about my nearing 30 I thought my house would have been bigger. I would have had three kids. I would have not spent years of my life fighting tooth and nail against something bigger than me, my daughter's seizures. I wouldn't have imagined having to have my house remodeled for wheelchair access. I pictured a son. I pictured time to start my book.
Is that normal? Do we all picture ourselves in our future an upgraded version? Are we disappointed when realization is we are who we are. We didn't get on Oprah this past decade.
For those of you who have past that milestone share words of wisdom. What were your feelings as you hit this time in your life?
For those of you in my generation, what are your feelings leading up to this milestone?
I'm just curious b/c for me this is only my first 29th birthday. I have several more of those to come before 30 actually hits, but I was just thinking ahead.
Cheers to the start of crows feet!


5 comments:
I'm trying to still like you here...29? For real 29? I've been 29 now for...well a few years.
Those of us who are perfectionists and optimists do indeed always picture something beyond what we have attained. When we dream there is no limit to what we *could* accomplish. The problem is that life happens in between that dream and reality.
I have no idea what your house looks like or what kind of car you drive but I will tell you this. From reading your posts and hearing you talk about Andi and Lily you have accomplished more in your short life thus far than many people do in their entire lives. You care selflessly for a daughter whose special needs require a constant watchful eye. You have a heart and compassion that doesn't stop.
Material things be damned...as my grandparents would say, you've done good so far, honey, you've done real good...
Hello, my friend! As someone who will soon be facing her FORTIETH birthday, it's hard to remember 29.... LOL
Seriously, though. Thirty hit me hard. I thought it was the end of my youth, blah blah blah. Almost ten years later, I am feeling younger, healthier and happier than ever. You have a fabulous life, a wonderful husband and gorgeous, happy girls. And you will always have that runway model look, so smile and enjoy the ride!!
Wendy
Hello, my friend! As someone who will soon be facing her FORTIETH birthday, it's hard to remember 29.... LOL
Seriously, though. Thirty hit me hard. I thought it was the end of my youth, blah blah blah. Almost ten years later, I am feeling younger, healthier and happier than ever. You have a fabulous life, a wonderful husband and gorgeous, happy girls. And you will always have that runway model look, so smile and enjoy the ride!!
Wendy
Ah, 29. I will admit, I only had one 29th birthday, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to admit that I turned 41 last fall. I'm thinking 40 is it, that's as high as I go.
But, I got lucky, grey hair, not not til 40 and then it's pretty sparce. Old looking hands, nope, not until this year - but they have thrown me off. Wrinkles, not laying out really saved me there.
In fact, it wasn't until the last year or so that I started wearing makeup a bit more often that was only because I noticed that my coloring looks better with some face powder to even the tones.
I don't think 29 bothered me much because I was dating a lovely person. 30 wasn't bad because I was months away from marrying the lovely person. In my 30s I had kids.
Now things are a bit less hectic, I have to keep reminding myself that my life isn't what I expected, but it's still wonderful. I live in a place my kids are safe, but has no career options for me. So instead I work 20 hours at a job that is OK, for a boss who I understand, and co-workers I like.
Not what I expected, but I loved my 30s, I came into my own that decade.
I hope your decade is as wonderful!
Dang Kim, 29 is not so bad! I can't believe I'm almost 10 years older than you - ARGH!
Crows feet? Talk to me when you're approaching 38!
I tend to forget how young you are, because you are a wonderful, mature, well rounded person and a fantastic Mom. Happy 30 minus 1!
Post a Comment