Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Yawn....

Sigh... long night, so long that it ended up being a late morning. This late:
Andrew: "Kim it's 7:52am"
Kim: "Shut up"
Andrew: "Seriously"
Kim: "Shut up, you're kidding"
Andrew: Shows me his phone
Kim: "Help me with Lily NOW!"
Poor Lily is woken up and her clothes were changed and she was in her wheelchair and still didn't know which way was up. I got a couple bites of meds in on some yogurt, gave her some chocolate milk and the bus pulled up. I felt like the worst mom on the planet. I called her teacher and asked her to feed her some applesauce when she gets there, but still I feel like poo. Poor kiddo. :(
That is not the way to start a day. I didn't get Andi to daycare until 10am and I didn't make it to work until 10:30am! Sigh... payroll today too... at least I can work thru lunch if I need to.
Sigh.....

So I went to MOPS for the first time last week. I liked it, I think I will keep on going, but I was conflicted with the topic. They had a women talk to us about safety. She had some great tips and I know we have to be very protective now these days, but I kept thinking about all the things I did as a kid that I would hate for Andi to miss out on. Like sleepovers. They said no sleepovers. Especially ones with older brothers and dads, and I understand that I do, BUT I can't imagine a childhood without sleepovers. I lived at my friends houses and they all had older brothers and dads. I absolutely loved growing up with my friend Marlene's family. They had 5 kids in her family and the first three kids were boys. I had so much fun with her family I had dinner there every Wednesday before we went to a Church club and I probably slept there if not every weekend then every other. Never once did anything ever happen. I know things can and do very often. I guess I was fortunate to have really good friends with really good families, but I just can't imagine never having those sleepovers. We had so much fun. We talked so much during those nights, I just can't imagine taking that away from my kids. Well from Andi. It really seems so wrong and unfair that our kids can't just live as kids. We have to try to creep proof everything and it seems impossible. You keep them from everything and they rebel, you let them do it all and they rebel. Raising kids is so hard. There is so much you have to think about that you never imagined. Andi is only two and I am already thinking about what I will allow and not allow. I am such a softy, I worry if I cave, she will be pregnant at 16 and doing crack.
I think I need more sleep. This parenting thing is tough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah but why were you up all night? ~Kathy

Kim said...

My children are vampires and don't need sleep, that is why I was up all night.

Timestep said...

Sorry you missed out on sleep!

I must admit, the tips sound a bit extreme. I could see the tip "know the family your children spend the night with" but I believe there is a point that "protecting" our children only leads them to fear everything and have no coping skills.

JMHO.