So last night Andi wanted to help daddy take out the trash. I am sitting in the dining room feeding Lily and there is a pounding at the back door, it's Andrew holding a screaming Andi. I open the door, mommy juices flowing... "What happened?" "Andi grabbed the cactus" he said. So I finish up with Lily and head to the bathroom where Andi is screaming and daddy is pulling cactus love out of Andi's little dimpled fingers and palms with tweezers. Took about 20 minutes, there had to be over 100 in there. Then she got ice cream and lots of cuddles. I am such a baby when it comes to my babies. I can't help it.
**ok I must comment once again on yesterday's topic** read the comment to know my rebuttal. Not that I am arguing, I just want to clarify.
"God Bless" would be weird to me in itself. It sounds weird to God Bless a stranger, even when they are sneezing, in my opinion. But she knew 1st hand what it is to deal with a SN child so I took it with a grain of salt. She meant well.
I DO NOT feel people mean well when they say what's *wrong* with her. My husband has no problem with this question so it is all relative. But to me it is 1st off not a concerned person, it is a curious person. Not a sensitive person and not a person in need of information of why my child is *different* not WRONG.
I have grown up with a severely disabled brother that got constant stares and questions. It is annoying. I am sorry but it really is just plain annoying. If I see someone with no arms I look at them and look away. I don't smile at them; I don't take a double take. I look at them just like I look at the person with two arms. I don't smile at strangers nor do I stare at them. I just want to get thru my day and let them get thru theirs. I don't see any importance in needing to know why a child is in a wheelchair. I don't see a need in knowing why a kid has a strawberry on their head. Why a baby is wearing a helmet. Why a kid wears AFO's.
I am not venting or ranting. On a daily basis where ever we go, we mostly get smiles or people saying "hi" to Lily, or just ignoring her and not stopping to look twice. We can go an entire month with out even thinking that Lily even IS SN. But I stand by my statement 100% that asking what is *wrong* with anyone unless it is your spouse or close friend/family member who is acting crabby, is a rude question, and not well meaning.
Oh and when I was pregnant, I HATED people asking when I was due. Mostly b/c what followed was "Holy Crap! And you're that big?".
Maybe I should just walk around with a sign on me sponsored by Golden Palace, of course, saying "just don't talk to this woman".
Friday, March 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Owie! That must have hurt. Poor girl.
About ppl asking what's "wrong" with her...I'd feel the same way. I think it's just rude.
Sorry to hear about the cactus!! Reminds me of my 'baby' grabbing the edge of the swimming pool and putting her hand right into a wasp's nest!
PS: Maybe I'll get you the t-shirt instead of a sign. *wink*
Post a Comment