So I had an epiphany a few weeks ago, it was before I knew I was pregnant and it was reinforced at Kibberts on Saturday night as I watched her give her son his 10th neurological exam he has had this month. I have seen that kid have a bloody nose more than anyone else ever and I don’t think he will make it to 4 without actually breaking the cute little thing. And don’t get me wrong I am super excited to be “with child” I am not however so sure I want this one to be a boy. I do for my husband’s sake, but not for my own. Hear me out.
I was at the neuro’s office two weeks ago and I was in the waiting room for another study appointment. I couldn’t help but notice “that couple”. They were older with a little boy; they were all over that kids to make sure his every wish was their command and I couldn’t help but wonder what their neurosis was as to bring their perfect little boy into see a neurologist. Yes I was judging. I am sick of going to the neuro office every two weeks, sometimes I am crabby and yes I was judging. The boy was all over the place, he was throwing tantrums about wanting to see fish outside and they were taking turns taking him to see the fish. At one point both the parents were in the room with him and the mom as filling out paperwork and she asks her husband “He had his seizure before he fell, right?” the dad replied, “No he had the seizure after he fell off the bed” and then mom says “Yeah he had the seizure after he fell off the bed, but before he fell down the stairs.” I am thinking holy crap, these people are “those” parents, it looks like the child is never out of their site yet he has managed to fall twice obviously pretty hard core and now he has a neurologist! How in the hell could I deal with all that. Falling and stuff. I mean Andi has scraped her knees, had one goose egg and has been bruised, but for the most part she has stayed pretty unbroken. That wasn’t it for that day though; I went to the post office afterwards and saw a mom and her daughter. Her daughter was by her side, mining her manners, not unlike my kids. Now Andi is a wild thing, but she always stays close, I can count on my hand the times she has ran from me, it isn’t a daily thing. But then there was a woman with a toddler boy and she was chasing this kid everywhere while trying to stay in a very long line. I did not know I was pregnant and thought, OMG I don’t think I could deal with that “boyness”.
Boys are in a whole different ballpark than girls. Now I am sure girls seem frightening to a mom to all boys, but a boy is probably one of the scariest things I can think of as a mom to girls. Scared!
So anyway, whatever it is it will be loved. Of course! All I ask is for a good brain and I am going into this thing positive. He or she will have a good brain. No seizures. Not even if it is a he and he eats it daily. No seizures.
Thanks for all your comments, emails and texts! You all are so sweet. You know how excited we are for this journey. First kid we actually tried for! Not bad round three.
I know sharing this early could be a bad idea, but if things don’t go the way I have planned I would tell you all anyway, so why not. The blood work says my numbers are doubling, my boobs hurt and I have thrown up after brushing my teeth….. Seems like it is all on line! February 12th appears to my due date, to my calculations, but we’ll know more on June 30th when we have our first ultra sound.
Exciting stuff! I promise to not turn this blog into a whiney complaining pregnant lady blog. I am excited and I’d rather deal with gagging while brushing my teeth and the waves of nausea than not have it at all. Bring on the heartburn!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Oh no... you MUST have a boy! You have no idea how wonderful they are! Yes, they are a little more high strung than girls (even mentally retarded girls!) Yes, they grow into little men, but honey... they LOVE their Mommy!
I'm so excited for you. And yes, I'm praying this child has a healthy brain! I'm positive things will be OK! WOO HOO!
CONGRATS!!!! Oh, and I want to text you! No fair. Feeling left out. ;)
Just kidding.
I can't imagine Andi as a middle child. Can you? LOL. I think she will always the baby (attention seeker!) of the family :)
Yes... it's true that boys are a whole new ball game. BUT OMG they are amazing little male creatures and I love mine to pieces.
2/12 is a great date! It's the birthday of our 2nd daughter!
Don't worry about the whole "boy" thing. Yes, I agree that they have a different type of energy that girls do, but oh boy...my little man isa total "Mommy's boy" and melts my heart every day. He's also the most loving out of my 3, he always knows when I need a special hug.
I'll live thru you, I loved being pregnant!
CONGRATS!!! (I've sucked reading lately...)
(you know my personal feeling on this whole boy vs. girl thing...)
I do have to say that I have been given hope about boys through a friend of mine who swears that despite having three boys God knew she couldn't handle BOY-BOYS and her boys are much more low-key and not sportsy but more on the intellectual/artsy side. How this will fare in high school I don't know but it's making her more sane in their childhoods.
Additionally, you can subscribe to my school of thought that you have two girls already and IF it were to be a boy you can only imagine the hen-pecking he'd go through adn have no choice but to be a sweet little boy. :)
Boys are much easier babies! At least Cade was. And, yes Boys love thier mommies!! I hope you get your boy. So very excited for you guys
Post a Comment